Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Celebrating National Running Day with 13.1 through Geneva (NY)


How else to better celebrate the inaugural National Running Day than with a good run?

I went out with the big guys again today. We drove out to Geneva (NY - there seems to be some confusion about that) this morning so that we could run the course that they will do in July for the triathlon. I got up at 4:45AM this morning to get ready, and I think the last time I was up that early was for the National Marathon (also the last time I ran more than 10 miles). When I get up that early, it always takes me a little bit to get that "holy cow it's early" sickening feeling in my stomach to go away. But, after two bowls of Kix, coffee and tea, that feeling went away. I was ready to go.

Geneva, NY is so beautiful. The course runs along the lake, through town, by Hobart and William Smith Colleges, and is just a lovely route. We were running 8:30 miles fairly consistently. Mark and Adam went down the hills (which there were many) fairly fast, but I was a bit more conservative, since the uphills were huge (especially between miles 7-9). I'm so glad I did, because while they were able to run quickly downhill, I was able to hit the uphills with confidence.

The weather was cool with a bit of overcast and a light breeze at the end, which was very refreshing. We did the half marathon course (13.1 miles baby!) in 1:54, which was a great time for a non-race day run. This was the longest distance Mark and Adam had ever run, and I felt very honored that they wanted me to lead them through it. I had a great time - they made me laugh and it was enjoyable.

We went to a cute little coffee shop (reminded me of Uncommon Grounds in Saratoga) for breakfast after - it felt so good to refuel and relax after. Those two guys were a lot of fun, and I'm glad we ran the half marathon together this morning. Actually, there's nothing half about it! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment