Monday, January 4, 2016

Looking back to 2015 and looking forward to 2016


This feels a bit like the old-school e-mail surveys that my middle school friends and I used to send to each other on our dial-up AOL accounts. I’ve cut some of them out, but the full list is here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mackenziekruvant/new-years-questions
1. What did you do this year that you’re proud of?
Organized a two-day conference centered around my dissertation, Wrote over 100 pages including a successful first chapter, learned how to cook better
2. Who did you meet this year that inspired you?
The best medieval historian in my field (Miri Rubin), Pope Francis 
3. What are songs that you will always hear and think of this year even when you’re listening on some contraption that hasn’t even been invented yet?
Uptown Funk, Shut Up and Dance With Me
4. What is your favorite photo from this year? - Can't pick just 1!
Out with my parents and husband for my 29th birthday
Me with my best friend and her daughter after we put up their tree
From my brother's wedding in November!
5. What are five things you want to say to people you love?
         1. I love you.
         2. I’m sorry when I’ve wronged you.
         3. Thank you for supporting me unconditionally.
         4. Please let me know how I can support you.
         5. I can't imagine life with you.
6. What are some places where you feel true joy in your life?
Running around Georgetown, Rock Creek Park
Beautiful day on the Waterfront with my best four-legged friend








7.. What were your favorite meals?

Finally figured out a good steak marinade and learned how to grill outside
I really stepped things up in terms of cooking in 2015. I learned how to master a bunch of dishes, pastas, how to make a good steak, a few side dishes, and desserts. While the process can be challenging, it is also a lot of fun to conquer a new dish and figure out how to make something delicious. Top 2 dishes of the year: marinated pork tenderloin and twice-baked potatoes, which I then made for my parents and grandparents (who then called my other relatives to tell them about it). 

Bridal Party Squad - still my best girlfriends
8. Who are people that you believe are bringing out the best in you?
Taylor Swift isn't the only with #Squad Goals
Dissertation Squad (aka my mom and aunts)


Also, my dad, brother, and husband, but their squad pictures just don't quite hold up.
9. What are five things that you were hard on yourself about but would never have been hard on a friend if they were experiencing it?
      1. Ability to write fast and well
      2. Keeping our apartment clean
      3. Maintaining a good exercise regiment
      4. Keeping in touch with people
       5. Eating well
10. What things have you been putting off doing because you didn’t have time?
1.     1. Blogging! I hope to get back into this writing habit more consistently. I used to love it so much, and as I got swallowed up by my grad program (and in love!), the blogging fell to the wayside.
  2. Racing more. I did manage to do 5 races in 2015, and made over $350 in prize money. I tried 5 new races, instead of going to my old standbys, and I'd like to do more of that this year.
  3. Do yoga regularly. As I mentioned in my last post, I was able to take a few yoga classes at the end of the year and really enjoyed it. I think it will help me keep my head in check if I do it regularly. 
11. What are your biggest hopes for 2016?
      1. I hope my class on the Crusades goes well
      2. I hope to get a substantial amount of writing done, and set a dissertation defense date
      3. I would like learn how to make more recipes
      4. I hope to find more balance in my life and manage my stress better


Happy New Year! Out to celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment