Saturday, November 7, 2009

7 mile run - practically perfect in every way

Runs like today are perfect. The weather was ideal (mid 40s, sunny, little wind). The fall folliage is peaking and the colors are absolutely brilliant. Fall really is my favorite time of the year to run. I think in part that's because I started running in the fall when I ran cross country in middle school. That of course feels like such a long time ago - not only was I different person then, but I was a different runner back then.
I ran 7 miles around Brookland today, the longest run I've done since the marathon. I ran it at 8:13 pace, which felt good, considering there were many hills within that run. It was just a good run. Didn't feel sore or achy, or like it was too much. In fact, around mile 6 I felt like I could just keep going. And I just love that feeling, when you break through that hidden barrier and are filled with the desire to keep going. All in all, it was a great run.
I'm slowly upping my miles. This week I ran 28 miles. I'd like to be in the mid 30s by the end of November. I have signed up for the Race with Grace 10k in Rochester for Thanksgiving Day. I'm hoping my triathlete buddies Mark and Adam will sign up for it too (putting on the blog is a good form of peer pressure!). I haven't race at home in Rochester since June, so it'll be good to race at home. I also haven't run a 10k race in almost a year, so I can take the opportunity to cash in on my marathon training and hopefully run a fast race.
While I won't start my official Boston marathon training until mid December, I am starting to think about Boston. I'm pretty sure I am going to use the Pfitz 18/55 plan (18 weeks, maxing out at 55 miles per week). It's a slight increase from my last plan (16/50), but not too much of a jump. I'll also start thinking about a goal time. There is certainly less pressure in this marathon (of course, I put it all on myself). I don't need to qualify for another race - this is the dream race for me. Yes, I do hope to knock off a few minutes off of my time, but I don't need to knock off 13 minutes like I did at Marine Corps. So, my guess is that my goal will be around 3:35 (8:12 per mile). But it is way to early to really think definitively about it.
It feels good to get back into a regular running routine, and without the pressure of training at least for another month. They'll all just be fun runs until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment