Thursday, November 26, 2009

Race with Grace 10k

Well, this morning I had my first race post Marine Corps Marathon and first 10k since December 2008. I went to the race with my triathlete buddy Mark, who was kind enough to drive me over. He is so funny, he called me this morning to make sure I was up, and he said "Bon giorno bella!" and then rattled off something else in Italian. Anyways, I hadn't seen him since June, so it was great to catch up and go to the race together. I always feel a little better before a race if I'm with people I know; it takes the edge off a bit. During my warm-up run with Mark, I was worried about how I was going to do just because I didn't think I could sustain a fast pace. However, the gun went off, and despite fighting the crowd, I hit my first mile in 6:54. I was a little freaked out at this point, because I didn't expect that, and had to ease up a little Mile 2 14:15, 5k 22:38. Can't remember how my other splits were, although I know I was a little slower at this point. Hills were steeper than expected and it started to get a little windy. But managed to stay at a fairly even pace (second half was about 2 minutes slower). I finished in 46:35 (ish...still need to check for the official time). That's almost a 9 minute PR from my first 10k, which I did last year. Here's hoping to knocking off more time in Jingle. It was a great race (998 people, and I came in 185), and I was able to see a lot of old friends: people from high school, the gym, old teachers, etc. Not only did my parents come, but my grandparents, uncle, and cousin came as well, which was sweet. Overall it was a great race; I was able to see lots of friends and family, and it was a great way to kick off Thanksgiving Day. Here are some pictures from the race, including the start, finish, me with my parents, Mark, and Manuel (who also does triathlons). It felt good to kick off racing again and dig deep (this means more speedwork again). Here's to good training through the winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment