Thursday, September 30, 2010

3 Things and 2 Pics on Thursday

1)I was so excited to read the announcement that Gold Medalist Joan Benoit Samuelson is going to try to qualify for the 2012 Olympic Trials. She is running in the Chicago Marathon at the age of 53, and to qualify, she needs to run a 2:46 marathon - something which women half her age will be striving to achieve too. This is just a remarkable feat - to even make that your goal at any age, but to try to do it at 53?! If that doesn't show how the body can (and mind) can endure for so long, I don't know what can. Talk about inspiring. I am already so excited to watch the Chicago Marathon this year, but this definitely adds to the excitement.2) I had an exhiliarating run this morning. 5 miles in the pouring rain. There is something so invigorating about running in the rain. Maybe it's the thrill of the elements, the reduced amount of people on the road, the whooshing sound of cars moving along wet pavement, but whatever it is, I love it. Rarely have I ever had a poor run in the rain.
Those shorts were originally light blue, but got so soaked they now look navy!

3) The Marine Corps Marathon is exactly one month away! I am so excited. Not only do I get to run another marathon, but I'm looking at that whole weekend as a vacation, even though I live right here in DC. On that Wednesday, my running buddy/partner in play Jenny will come into town. I plan on taking some time off from work so that we can just hang out as we get into the marathon zone. I still will have to go to class and teach, but I can definitely enjoy those few days as a mini-vacation as we gallavant around the town. Also, I love MCM so much (it's where I got my first BQ), and am very much looking forward to being a part of it again. I plan on running 10 miles this weekend as part of getting some double digit runs before MCM. I won't do any 20 milers, but hope to do a few runs beyond a half-marathon in preparation. Did 6 x 800 yesterday, all between 3:28-3:32, so it felt good to get some speed work in too.Jenny has gotten up to 18 so far, so we are on the right track! Can't wait to see that beautiful starting line again.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see how Joan does! I hope she gets her time for all of us masters!

    ReplyDelete