Thursday, February 24, 2011

Marines, Rowing, and German

First of all, I am in for the Marine Corps Marathon! I can't believe it sold out in under 30 hours. Jenny and I will be teaming up yet again in a marathon friendship run on 10/30.
Wednesday morning, I did a 45 minute elliptical workout, which was fine. But I still had to do a second workout (double days on MWF - my cross training days), and for some reason I couldn't get pumped about the pool. It is in a different building than the cardio machines, and it just seemed like a bigger process than an enjoyable activity. So, I returned to the fitness center in the afternoon, and looked at some of the other cardio machines. Bike? Not today. I could do the elliptical again, but no, I need a break from that too. Aha! Then I saw the rowing machines. Hmm. Have never used one, although I knew a lot of people on the crew time in college. Why not try it?
So, I sat down, turned on the timer thing, and started rowing away. My dad and I have gone canoeing and paddling, so I figured it wouldn't be too much of a brand new experience. And it wasn't! Lean and pull, lean and pull. It took a little while to get a rhythm going, but then it started to feel more natural. Ended up rowing 4800 meters in 30 minutes. I can feel it a bit in my shoulders and arms today, just a bit of soreness, but it was a good workout. Does anyone use the erg? Any recommendations? I don't know sort of time or distance to aim for. But, I think I am going to try to make it a part of my XT regimen. Always want to change things up!
Interestingly enough, this was one of the sentences I had to translate for my German homework:
Durch anstrengende Arbeit werden die Muskeln eines jungen Menschen immer kraftiger.
The muscles of younger people become stronger and stronger after strenouous work.
I agree!

No comments:

Post a Comment