Friday, June 17, 2011

5k and up training begins!

As I mentioned last month, I am taking some time away from the marathon to focus on my shorter distance running. Still running on circles, on the track and on the road. Beyond MCM, the marathon is put on hold for some shorter distance training (it worked for Desi Davila, right?). So, this week began my "5k and up" training, still designed by my friend Sarah, who has helped me me go from a 3:39 marathon down to 3:27 in less than 2 years. Last week was my final week of regular running, no plan:
Monday: 2k yard swim, 16 mile bike ride
Tuesday: 7.5 mile track workout include 2 x 1 mile, 4 x 400: 6:51, 6:47, 1:38, 1:36, 1:35, 1:34
ploys, weights, 3k row, 4 miles on bike (Tenacious Tuesday!)
Wednesday: 2k yard swim, weights, 16 mile bike ride
Thursday: 6.5 mile run
Friday: 3.4 mile shakeout run
Saturday: NYRR Mini 10k: 46:07
Sunday: 4.2 mile run
Total running mileage: 27.8
bike: 36 miles
swim: 4000 yards

Week by week, the training will look very similar to marathon training. I'll run 4 times a week: track on Tuesday, regular run on Thursday, tempo run Saturday, long run (10-12 miles) on Sunday. I'll still cross train 3 times a week, but instead of twice a day like I did for Boston, it will be just once a day, aiming for an hour.

I had a killer track workout on Tuesday that totally made me feel better about Saturday's race. The weather cooled down and it just looked like a great day for speed (unlike Saturday, when I felt like I couldn't push it at all). The task: 2.5 mile w/u, 6 x 800 starting at 3:22 and knocking off 3 seconds (1 lap jog in between each interval) 2.5 mile c/d.

And I went off - that number seemed fast: start at 3:22? I had times when that was one of the last of the 800s, not the starting one. But I just felt like I was flying I started, and not too tired: 3:19. And so it continued, each time, the first lap didn't seem too bad, it wasn't until the final 300 that I ached to finish. Ultimately:
3:19, 3:14, 3:11, 3:07, 3:05, 3:05.

I think I've only ever run sub 3:15 in mile trial attempts! But they clicked off relatively easy, I was so surprised! The last 2 were really tough, and after my recovery laps, I had to just stand there and just mentally ready myself to do it, "Come on, you'll only be uncomfortable for 185 seconds, you can do it."

It was a great workout and a great way to kick off the shorter distance training. I just felt, well, proud. Those times were unimaginable a year ago, and in my opening workout of the season, I got them. I have a tempo on tap tomorrow - last run in this AG!

No comments:

Post a Comment