Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I will do better next time

I still haven't totaled my mileage from May, or June, or the first half of the year.

Sunday technically ended cycle 1 of "5k and up" training, although a third of the training felt like a bust. I know why: I spent one week settling into life and my new job California, and then on Thursday, I got some sort of stomach bug, which wiped me out for the last few days of this cycle. I missed both of my weekend runs, but I did go on a 6 mile walk on Sunday through some trails around campus.

A lot of things can happen in a 4 week running cycle. I tend to be pretty consistent, so I think that was the hard part about cycle 1 - I missed a couple of runs, and that rarely happens. I tend to say I am not quite a perfectionist, but I do feel like one in times like this -- I usually get it right, and this time I didn't. So, I wallowed for a little bit, and got on track again…

Quite literarily

My track workouts last week and this week were both stellar. Last week, it was 3 x 1 mile, then 2 x 800. Nailed it, 6:55, 6:41, 6:39, and then 3:16, 3:13.

Today, I finally got to break out the racing flats that my parents got me for my birthday last month. They are awesome, Saucony's highlighter yellow - they just look fast! After my warmup, I put them on, and did 6 x 150 meter strides in them - woo! They were so light, and it felt great to be moving in them. I still felt like I was getting the support i need, and I don't think they could be any lighter, and they just worked. After the strides, I lined up for my next assignment: 6 x 1000, aiming for around 4:15 for the first one (6:50/mile pace) and knocking about 3 seconds off. Bam! Took off, and I felt great. It was like the placebo effect - you are told these will make you fast, and you just go. 4:15 for the first, and I kept knocking down the time: 4:12, 4:08, 4:05 (at this point, I was so happy to be 2/3 through the workout), and then 4:02, 4:02 (6:30/mile pace). I couldn't go any faster for the last one, and while I was hoping to break 4 minutes for 1000 (can't believe people can run a mile at this pace), it was still a victory. A few days off from running did no harm, even a stomach bug couldn't knock me down for too long.

Cycle 2 is off to a good start. And I will do better this time!

1 comment: