Monday, September 28, 2009

My bones are shifting in my skin...

While that may be a line from Ingrid Michaelson's "The Chain," I think that's an appropriate way to describe how I feel right now. I am in my peak week of marathon training. I ran 50 miles last week and I'll run 50 again this week, including 22 on Saturday. My body is quite tired from the training. It's been going well, but it certainly takes a toll after awhile. I still do not know how Deena Kastor can run 140 miles per week. The only thing I know about her ability to do that is that she gets 10-12 hours of sleep a night, and a mid day nap. I'm jealous!
I am constantly amazed how the human body can endure so much, and still thrive even when facing many miles to go. Even though I felt sore yesterday from my 5k race on Saturday, I still made it through 12 miles through DC, and tackled 6 hilly miles this morning. I am a little stiff from my big week last week, but I know that I will still be able to do my 8 x 800 yasso workout tomorrow morning with no problems.
I wish that I could move around a bit more in grad school. It's a very sedentary lifestyle; sitting in class, sitting in the library, sitting at the computer, etc. No wonder I'm tired - I don't get to move around enough and shake out my stiffness! At Beloved Summer Job, I could at least move boxes to and from a storage unit, push speakers around campus for talents shows and dances, and chase after kids trying to go out of bounds! Alas, I don't see the academic field changing enough to allow for more physical activity.
But I have at least one way to keep my bones from shifting and my muscles happy. I've scheduled an appointment for a sports massage on Sunday, the day after my 22 miler. I had a short sports massage after the marathon, and even that 10 minute massage felt great. This is really going to work out the kinks and knots that have been building up over the last few months. I'm really looking forward to it - I definitely need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment