Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Running Survey

One of my buddies from Runner's World sent out an online survey. It reminded me like the ones from middle school, except this one was running related!

Miles last week: 37
Your first Race: 1998 Cross Country Meet (middle school) at Black Creek Park in Greece, NY
Your last Race: Race with Grace 10k on Thanksgiving Day
When/Why did you start Running? 1998 (1st time) - we had to sign up for soccer or cross country, and I hated soccer. I started back up (2008) because I couldn't find a choir to sing with when I was in grad school, so I thought I would try running again.
Favorite Race? National Marathon in DC (my first marathon)
Favorite Distance? The marathon
Mistake you always make while racing: I don't push hard enough
Your mantra is... 2 Timothy 4:7 "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith."
Favorite food before a race or long run? Hot chocolate the morning of, the night before a marathon: Pear and Gorgonzola pizza from Z-Pizza in Silver Spring
Favorite Gadget? Timex Ironman Watch
Something *strange* you always need on a run? I always carry a rosary in my pocket when I race
Amount of races you've done in your life? (not quite sure how many I did in middle school, my guess is around 15) In my return to running, I've done 10.
Amount of races you've done this year? 8
When I can't run, I...get on the elliptical, lift weights, and swim.
Music or no Music? If yes, Favorite music: Yes, classical for long runs (Beethoven's 9th symphony, Chaikovsky's 1812 overture, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue)
Favorite book? Running related - Marathon Woman by Kathrine Switzer. Non-running: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Dame Muriel Spark
Favorite Movie? Running related - The Spirit of the Marathon. Non-running - Beauty and The Beast
Favorite Runner? Favorite of all time: Kathrine Switzer and Joan Benoit Samuelson. Current runners: Deena Kastor and Ryan Hall.
Favorite brand of apparel? Champion (sold at Target)
Favorite brand of shoes? Asics
How many pairs of running shoes do you have? How many pairs do you actually use? Own 3, use 2.
Next Challenge ahead: Running in the Boston Marathon (hoping for a time of 3:35).
A Goal further ahead you'd like to get to someday: Breaking 3 hours in the marathon.
PR you're most proud of: 3:39:55 at Marine Corps Marathon (knocked off 13 minutes from my first marathon).
Fuel on long run or race is...Cherry Gatorade and Vanilla GU
Last/current injury: Pulled right hamstring in March 2009
Why do you run? I run because I have found it to be a liberating experience in so many ways. It is a mental and physical release. I am able to solve a lot while on a run, and I always come back from a run in a better mood than I when I left. I think I still have a lot of potential to unlock in running and I look forward to see what I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment