Monday, December 28, 2009

Unwrapping Christmas and Wrapping up 2009

Christmas, as usual, was wonderful. It was excellent to be with my family and just enjoy everyone's company. Also got a few neat running-related gifts too: new Asics for Boston, new hat, and the Spirit of the Marathon soundtrack.
2009 is rapidly coming to a close, marking the end of my first year as a grown-up runner. Not quite sure of the exact mileage (that's a resolution for 2010), but I know I've run: 2 marathons, 1 1/2, 1 10 miler, 2 10ks, 3 5ks and around1500 miles. Kind of crazy, especially for someone who used to describe herself as a musician, certainly not a runner or athlete. But the tables have turned, it seems.
It's been a year for changes, that's for sure. There have been losses and gains, hard runs and easy ones, busy days and a handful of slow ones. In some ways I've restructured a lot of my lifestyle. I see no problem getting up at 4:30 or 5 in or to get a workout in, like I am doing today. I also am getting in the habit of getting to bed earlier, when possible, in order to get a full night's sleep. Somehow, adding marathon training made me more organized - who'da thunk? My grades in grad school shot up, I became more efficient with work...hmmm, I seem to see a common thread here.
With resolutions on the mind, here are mine:
* To enjoy every moment of running the Boston Marathon and not get too caught up with time goals (although a 3:35 marathon would be great).
* Successfully pass my comprehensive exams in July and earn my Master's degree
*a 1:39 half marathon
*a 45:00 10k
*a 22:00 5k
*a 6:00 mile
Here is the week's schedule:

Monday, December 28: OFF

Tuesday, December 29: 2.5 mile warm-up; 4x1 mile, 500 meter jog between each mile repeat. Start at about 8:00 minute pace, try to cut-down each mile by 5-7 seconds. 2.5 mile cool-down. Total mileage: 10 miles

Wednesday, December 30: 6 miles easy

Thursday, December 31: 8 miles easy

Friday, January 1: OFF

Saturday, January 2: 13 miles easy

Sunday, January 3: 6 miles easy

Total Mileage: 43 miles

Here's to a good end of 2009 and a good start to 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment