Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I love my guards

I've written before about the kind basilica guards. They are always there when I finish my runs here in DC. I grew quite attached to Peter, who used to hug me at the end of each run, even when I was all sweaty. Unfortunately, he was transfered to another location on campus, so I've only been able to see him a couple of times this year. Fortunately, I have made some new guard buds, particularly one named Burnett. He too is very kind, shakes my hand after, and is a joy to see when I round the bend for my last 100 yards of a run. Today Burnett gave me a big hug, and pointed me out to one of the other guards, who apparently saw me charging up one of the bridges this morning. I was in a particular high after today's track workout. Not only did I get through it 3 days after the half marathon, but came in a few seconds under expected times:
2.5 mile warm-up; 2 mile tempo on track, first mile 7:45, second mile 7:25; jog 2 laps; 8x400 meters, 150 meter jog between each, 1:45-1:50 pace. 2.5 mile cool-down. Total mileage— 10 miles Ran the first mile in 7:44, overall 15:05 for the 2 mile tempo. Then for the 400s, 1:46, 1:47, 1:48, 1:43, 1:46, 1:46, 1:43, 1:42.
It was hard, the lactic acid was building up during the 400s, and it was hard only having 150 meter jogs in between. At the end of Chariots of Fire, there is a part when the American coach says that rigor mortis sets in after 300 meters, but Eric Lidell goes on to triumph. I had to just keep picturing him in victory during the last 100 meters. Seems like it worked!
Anyways, I was pretty pleased that despite the soreness that still remains from Saturday, I successfully completed the workout. The body is an amazing thing! I went swimming yesterday, and that definitely loosened me up.
But I keep digressing. It was excellent to see Burnett and his guard-friend today afterwards. He called me a "true athlete." I never would have described me as that until recently...funny how things keep changing. It was great to see them after.
This is week 2 of cycle 4 for Boston.

Monday, March 22: Swim

Tuesday, March 23: 2.5 mile warm-up; 2 mile tempo on track, first mile 7:45, second mile 7:25; jog 2 laps; 8x400 meters, 150 meter jog between each, 1:45-1:50 pace. 2.5 mile cool-down. Total mileage— 10 miles

Wednesday, March 24: 6 miles easy

Thursday, March 25: 9 miles easy

Friday, March 26: OFF

Saturday, March 27: 18 miles easy

Sunday, March 28: 6 miles easy

Weekly Mileage Total: 49 miles

Less than 4 weeks to go. The half marathon lit a new fire in me - I enjoyed really digging in and not just using my legs, but my head to run. Everything I kept repeating to myself, "Relentless fighter" "Pass that dude" "No mercy" during the half, worked. And "kick" was the mantra for today's speed workout. This is just as much as a mental challenge, and requires practice too. I think I'll stick with being a relentless fighter on my way to Beantown!

1 comment:

  1. sounds like your doing more good work buddy! tapering down? i have a concert in geneva tomorrow, staying the night, then running the mussel course in the morning. i'll let you know how it goes.

    you are my running role model. i am getting a t-shirt made that reads "be like vanessa"

    ReplyDelete