Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Waiting at the door

I love my little town, and I am so grateful to be home for a few days. I get pretty choked up at airports: they show mini snapshots of love and families. No one coming out of the gate is angry - there is always a sense of relief upon arrival. There is excitement, joy over seeing the people you love. Even if worn out from security lines, buses, crammed flights, all of that is quickly put aside. I was so excited to see my parents (hadn't seen them in 2.5 months) - the anticipation had been growing, and I was very happy to come home.
No, I did not have puppies waiting for me when I came home yesterday. But there definitely were at the door:
Beautiful new Asics with Raspberry/Lightening piping. I had some errands to do before I could run, and the sun was already down, but that was not going to stop me. Lots of clothes - it was about 30 mph winds, but I was going to get out that door.
Oh what joy to run in new shoes! It was definitely the old ones that caused the pain - this was a beautiful run. 6 miles, with some pick ups thrown in, no pain. I couldn't stop smiling the whole time, and isn't that how runs are supposed to be? No one could really see the smile though, cars were sparse in driving along the small-town roads. It was very peaceful - even though it was probably when most people were headed home, no one was around. My town is so pretty - it is definitely quite the change from DC. Trotting back to my street, I could see the light on at home. Mom was waiting with dinner on the table. Yum!
Ah, to be home. I did a 3 mile shakeout run this morning in preparation for the 10k tomorrow. I think I am definitely ready to PR again. Even with an off week, I think the excitement of the race will push me. No matter, I get to run with a friend (Mark - triathlete bud), and have my family there supporting me. Sounds like a good Thanksgiving to me!

1 comment: