Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Hardest and Best Workout Ever

Last month, I had a tough workout of 5 x 1 mile repeats starting at 6:55 pace and getting progressively faster.  While I did each of the 5, I couldn't quite pick it up in the final ones, and even slowed down on the last repeat.  It was hot, it was hard, and ultimately, I fell a little short of the expectations.  But, I told myself that when the time came around to try it again, I would be ready: "I am excited about the prospect of rewriting how this workout goes and getting a second chance for success!"


Well, today was the day to try again, and with a little extra.  Instead of 5 x 1 mile, this was the task:
2.5 mile warm-up; 6 x 150 meters; 6 x 1 mile;  Start at 6:55 and cut down 5-7 seconds per mile;  500 meter recovery jog between each interval; 2.5 mile cool-down.  Total= 13 miles
Certainly a bit tougher than the last time!  But, it was only 68 this time, and I was determined to get it right today.
Last time: 6:56, 6:51, 6:46, 6:42, 6:46. (Average pace: 6:48)
This time: 6:54, 6:48, 6:43, 6:42, 6:39, 6:36.  (Average pace: 6:43)


Yeah baby!  And the last 3 were really hard.  I was really pushing in the last 400 of each one just to keep going and hit my necessary splits.  I knew, I knew, I knew that the second go at this would be better.  Still difficult to accomplish, but it was an accomplishment!  What a great way to start the day!


My comprehensive exams are one month from today.  And a month ago, this workout wouldn't have happened.  That is how I know that I will do well with the exams.  A month's worth of work can make a major difference - and that what this coming month is - working and working for my hardest test ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment