Thursday, April 1, 2010

March Madness transitions into...April Agility

Well, the numbers are in - I ran 203 miles in March - biggest month ever. That means 3 months of over 200 miles - crazy! Also turned in 4 papers in March - monster month in every way. I am just days away from the taper (2 week taper this time), and I am excited. I have loved training very much, but a reprieve to rest and relax will also be great too. This week was still a lot of work.

Monday, March 29: Swim

Tuesday, March 30: 2.5 mile warm-up; 5x 1 mile, start at 7:52, aim to cut 5-7 seconds off each interval, 500 meter jog between intervals, 2.5 miles cool-down. Total Mileage— 11.5 miles

Wednesday, March 31: 6 miles easy

Thursday, April 1: 9 miles easy

Friday, April 2: OFF

Saturday, April 3: 15 miles easy

Sunday, April 4: 8 miles easy

Weekly Mileage: 49.5 miles

Tuesday was the last big track workout. Couldn't sleep the night before, so when I woke up on only 4 hours of sleep, I realized I might not hit my expected times. To add to it, I was a bit nervous when the forecast called for 25 mph gusting winds. It made the first straightaway challenging each time, but then again, it could be that windy at the marathon. I definitely had to work a lot harder to get my times... Ended up 7:52, 7:41, 7:34, 7:24, and 7:15 for my mile repeats. So, somehow fighting through the wind ended up with faster intervals than predicted. The body is an amazing thing! I was totally surprised, and really pleased. It was good affirmation that I can run on tired legs, and even pick up the pace. I intend to sleep a lot in the next few weeks, so hopefully my body will be even more fresh and ready to go come Marathon Morning.
I am home now for a few days for Easter. Definitely good timing. I hadn't been home since mid-January, so I was definitely due. It feels so good to be home - my body just relaxed. My 9 miler flew by this morning - even saw 3 deer in a field, which was very beautiful, and definitely a reminder that I am out of DC.
April is here...big sigh of relief. I only have 2 papers to write this month - one is due Monday and then I have 3 weeks to write the other one. Like a grad school taper!
I just got back from a sports massage...ahh. There were some parts that hurt a lot - lots of pressure, but once the therapist worked through the knots, what a relief. I carry a lot of tension in my shoulders, and man, there were a lot of knots. He worked through it, and then twisted each of my arms behind my back, and pop! My clavicle re-aligned. Sweet glory! It is amazing how realignment can fix so much. Apparently I need to build up strength in my trapezius muscles. Which means I will start spending more time on the row machines. Not now (almost about to stop weight training as part of my taper), but when after Boston, I will work on that.
Bring it on, Boston! I am as loose as a goose, fit as a fiddle, and ready for Heartbreak Hill!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! That's some nice total weekly mileage you got in. My max is about 40-45 when I train for a marathon. Figured that out many years ago...anything over that and the shins start giving me fits. As long as i can continue to qualify for Boston with that mileage, i'm happy!

    ReplyDelete