Thursday, April 29, 2010

A sensory run

I think the majority of runners have a few standard routes that we follow. Yes, we'll change it up or extend it for the long runs, but I think each one of us has a go to run. The one we can run in our sleep, without thinking, and before we know it, we're a few miles into the run.
In DC, I have 2 versions of this route. My mid-week route, which can vary from 4-8 miles, and my weekend long route, which varies from 10-20 miles.
Last night, I was doing 5 miles, and was going through the motions. I have been running this route for about 18 months, and don't really need to do a lot of thinking while I'm doing it. However, I started to descend from the first hill (around 1.5 miles), and on my left, I saw a statue of the Virgin Mary. I am sure it has been there the whole time, but this was the first time it caught my eye. It was a good sight - made me feel like I have a little extra protection when I'm out on the road. Better keep my eyes peeled, I thought, maybe there's more that I'm not seeing.
I continued on, footsteps slapping the pavement quickly. Ever since Boston, I've felt, well, lighter. Getting through that marathon and all of the training with it was a big moment for me. It showed to me that I can accomplish big things, seemingly insurmountable things, things that people may have thought I could not do. Running Boston gave me a new confidence in some ways, and has provided me with some reassurance that even if challenges come my way, they can be overcome. But I digress...
The next part of my run takes me around a neighborhood park and elementary school. It is getting late in the day, and a lot of people were hanging out and playing. All of a sudden I hear, thwack. The sound of a baseball connecting with a bat. A perfect hit. Spring is here. I love that sound - and I'm not even a baseball player! But it is just a great sound.
I continued on through the neighborhood. Lots of houses, people going in and out, and the wind was picking up. Then, the gentle tinkling noise of a windchime. Hadn't heard that in ages. Felt like I wasn't in DC, but in a neighborhood removed from the hustled and bustle.
The end of the day was nearing. I set out in broad day light, and throughout the 5 miles, the sky change. From bright blue, to red and orange, to dark blue.
It was a run like every other, in some ways. The route didn't change at all from my normal path. But my eyes and ears were a little more open. So, I'll stay vigilant - who knows what else I've missed?

1 comment:

  1. Every now and then, like this morning, i run without my ipod and you know what? it really does change a seemingly "normal" everyday route into something different. i pay attention to sounds more but also enjoy the quiet too. this morning i heard bullfrogs in the pond...or could it have been alligators grunting. i like to think it was just frogs. the sounds of some funky sounding birds was kinda cool too. You are right, running feels different after Boston. Keep riding that wave!

    ReplyDelete