Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Mini-peak

I am a little over 4 weeks out of the Rochester Marathon, and just have over 2 weeks to go until the Marine Corps Marathon. So, instead of a 4 week recovery/build-up and a 3 week taper, I've decided to shoot for a mini-peak - this week.

Monday: 6 easy miles

Tuesday: 5 easy in the morning, 4.5 in the afternoon

Wednesday: 8 x 800s (400 recovery) + w/u, c/d = 8.5 miles

Thursday: 5 miles

Friday: Off

Saturday: 15-16 miles

Sunday: 3 mile recovery run

So no matter what, this will put me over 40 miles for the week. Last week ran 39 miles. Finally feel like I'm approaching regular mileage.

I am peaking this weak for Marine Corps, and will do a two week taper. Decided to do a double day yesterday – and those are always confidence boosters. I know it is something that the big timers do, and while I don’t do it a lot, it feels good to do. I just keep realizing that running helps to calm me down, and so if later in the day, work and school has gotten to a point where I need a release, the second run can happen and relieve some of that pressure.

I had a great workout this morning. Not necessarily my best or most consistent 800s (3:41, 3:39, 3:37, 3:35, 3:31, 3:28, 3:30, 3:30). A guy playing soccer joined me for the 6th, which was why it was so fast. It's fun when someone spontaneously joins you (he was practicing soccer in the field). During my last recovery lap, the soccer ball rolled over to me and I kicked it back. It is possible to play and work at the same time!

Here's to finding the ability to play throughout the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment