Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Harder, Faster, Stronger

First of all, thank you everyone for your words of advice/support. It is definitely helpful to know I have people in "my corner" rooting for me as I embark on these new challenges/opportunities. Monday went well. Classes started off on a good note: I am certainly going to be learning a lot this semester! In between classes, I got in a 2000 yard swim (in 55 minutes), and some weights. Then after class, 7.8 miles on the elliptical (in 60 minutes). It felt great to break out in a sweat like that - sometimes, that is when I feel the most "real" if that makes sense. My stress level decreases, the endorphins surge, and I feel normal and happy where I am. At the end of the day, when you add in the stretching and weights, I did about 3.5 hours of training yesterday. It felt awesome, and breaking it down into segments (1/2 stretching in the morning, swim + weights in afternoon, class, elliptical, meetings, then stretching before bed) made it much more feasible. I don't think I am necessarily going to have that much time to train every Monday, but if I can do that sometimes, the intense cross training will make a major difference in my Boston preparation.

I am thrilled to be a Pacers Ambassador again for 2011. They renewed my contract last night, which means I will be wearing some of their gear in DC races. I will also be volunteering at their phenomenal race series. Their races are awesome: well-organized, beautiful courses, and they know how to throw a helluva after-party. If you live in DC, I recommend signing up for some of their racs: they have races ranging from 5ks to half marathons. They also organize some great fun runs during the week and a long run on Saturdays. Those group runs helped me get ready for Boston, as I was running with people who really knew how to push me. Will update on some of the races/programs that I'll be participating in. One of the benefits is that I have met some great runners in the process - am hoping the same will happen again in 2011!

I was very excited to read the RW interview with Kara Goucher concerning her post-pregnancy comeback (racing in the PF Chang's Rock and Roll Half Arizona Marathon on Sunday). She seems ready and pumped to start racing again. Obviously, I am also hoping that she gets a podium finish in Boston too and leads the American women to victory. It provides a sense of optimism about returning strong after any kind of "lay off" from running. Good luck on Sunday, Kara! Speaking of strong returns, I read Meb Keflezghi's "Run to Overcome" over Christmas, and I still need to write a review of it. Stay tuned...

Last night, I ran 5.4 miles - no pain! The PT is working, and I am increasingly becoming a huge believer in the power of stretching/strength exercises. It was amazing - I could've went further, but knew that it was time to stop for the day. We had a "wintry mix" while I was running, and by the time I was done, my jacket actually froze! I feel like I earned my BA points for the day from that.

Harder, faster, stronger - my new mantra.

No comments:

Post a Comment