Thursday, May 19, 2011

Let's do the timewarp again

(My summer camp kids love that song and it is played at every dance)
Anyways, I felt like I went back in time yesterday:
My triathlete bud Mark is a professor at Hobart and William Smith Colleges, which is just over an hour from my hometown. So, he picked me up yesterday and we drove out there. He had a faculty meeting, and I used their library to read Religion and the Decline of Magic. It definitely brought me back to 2004...
Fun fact: I almost went to HWS. Had I not gotten into Holy Cross, I definitely would've went there. Beautiful school, good history program, and a great music program. I even interviewed for a music scholarship (for singing). And it seemed like a good fit: I did an overnight there, and when I came home, I got the acceptance letter for HC.
So it was funny to return to the campus that I had visited several times (I even remembered my way around - which was shocking if you know me and my lack of direction). My life could have been very different if I went there. I don't know if I would have studied medieval history, and I certainly don't know if I would've gotten into running after college.
After Mark's meeting, he introduced me to his department chair, who I am almost positive interviewed me for the music scholarship back in 2004. So funny!
Because Mark's knee has been bothering him, we also stopped at the orthopedist. It just so happened that this was the same orthopedist who diagnosed me with ITBS! I just had to go with him and thank the doctor for all of his help and recommendations for PT. I was so happy to tell him that I was able to run Boston. Funny how everything comes full circle.
Last night, I went to the gym and I couldn't decide what I wanted to do. I started with some weights and knew I should do some cross training, but I couldn't decided what. So, I decided to do a 45 minute "tri;" 15 minutes rowing, 15 minutes spinning, 15 minutes on the elliptical. I didn't get bored, and it was easy to work through each station, knowing that it would end soon. It was a good workout! Then finished with some more weights and went home.
All in all, it was a good day, and good to revisit a couple of places from my past.

No comments:

Post a Comment