Saturday, February 7, 2009

Enjoying 16.5 miles

I did it! For some reason, getting over the 16 mile mark has been difficult over the past few weeks. This morning was the first time I was able to successfully do it. It was a beautiful day in DC: about 50 degrees and sunny. I was able to wear my new shorts (with pockets), and they were great. I saw at least 100 runners out and about. I love how all runners share mutual waves, smiles, and even grunts, which help to keep each other going.

When I turned onto Michigan Ave to round the bend of my run, and once I could see the Shrine, I realized that even after 14 miles, I still felt good, and more importantly, capable of continuing onward. It felt great to go over the hills, and not feel like I was going to colapse or fall down. I think I could've gone beyond the 16.5 miles - but that was the length planned in my marathon workout (in case anyone was wondering, I've been using the "Rookie Marathon" on runnersworld.com - here is the link: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-11937-0,00.html). I've been sticking with that plan, and so far, it's been working out well.

As exciting as that experience was, it is somewhat alarming to know that after that (16.5), I'll still have slightly less than 10 more miles to go on marathon day (exactly 6 weeks away). Right now, I feel as if I have the energy to go a few more miles, but 10? I'm not sure. Then again, I just need to keep reminding myself that in October, I could only run 4-5 miles at a time. I think that's progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment