Sunday, January 25, 2009

For the Guard...


If you're not familiar with Catholic University, the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is on our campus. It's a beautiful basilica to see when I wake up in the morning, and to welcome me back when I return from a long run. I can always hear its chimes, even when I'm off-campus, and it's just always there for me to see.
There are a bunch of security guards who are positioned inside and outside of the basilica. One of the outside guards is a very nice man, whose name I do not know. He is always there to welcome me back from a run, and asks how far I ran. He's also been asking if I ran a mile for him, and I do. He's so nice, how could I not dedicate a mile to him? He always has a smile, and makes me feel good. So a mile always goes to him.
Today was my recovery run (2-3 miles), and that almost felt more difficult than my long run yesterday. I wasn't sore, but just felt wiped. I returned to campus feeling beat, but there the guard was, with a big smile. He's a good man, and that's why a mile went to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment