Sunday, March 1, 2009

the tapering has begun...with a cold

I left for my long run yesterday worried I had a cold (something that had entered my mind Friday night). But, I couldn't really let that stop me, so I went out and did it. But when I came back, I felt a bit hoarse and coughed a bit. But the cough didn't really leave (I was hoping it was just from my lungs being exposed to the cold weather for several hours), and it was still there this morning. Since it hadn't left by the afternoon, I realized I did in fact, have a cold.
Today began my taper. Tapering means reducing how many miles (and their intensity) I run in the 3 weeks leading up to the marathon. While it may seem counterintuitive, by cutting down on mileage (and focusing that time on resting and healthy living), runners are ready to go, and are at their peak shape.
Although I have a cold and sound like a man who has been smoking for 30 years, the good news is that I don't have to go running again until Tuesday. I did my recovery run today (2.6 miles, and that took a lot of effort), I'll cross-train tomorrow, and then 6-7 on Tuesday. By Tuesday, I should be almost done with the cold. Lots of rest, fluids, and Robitussin DM in the meanwhile...

No comments:

Post a Comment