Thursday, April 30, 2009

If I can run a marathon, I can do anything! right?

Last week, I met with a professor to discuss progress on a final paper.  She asked how the end of the semester was wrapping up.  So, I told her about the other papers, and the difficult latin exams ahead.  She replied, "But you ran a marathon!  This shouldn't be as bad or hard."  So I said "But the marathon was fun!"
And it was.  This stuff, especially the latin, is much harder, in my mind.  Running just comes a lot more naturally than latin morphology.  
Today is another example of that.  I realized I haven't ran a timed mile in a while (not since February), so I did did a 2.5 mile jog to the track, and then did a timed mile.  6:42 - my personal best!  I knocked 7 seconds off my time, so I was pretty pleased about that.  I would like to get down to 6:30 before the Marine Corps marathon, and I would love to run a sub 6 mile at some point down the road.
Anyways, how can it be so easy for me to improve on running when the latin takes so much time?  It's interesting.
Allow me to explain this morphology business, since I know that only the people in my history program understand it.  It is a test that you must receive a 90 on by the end of the semester.  You have to transform latin phrases (as they morph...hence the name of the test) so that the second example agrees with the first.  Example:
cive forti (with the strong city): fructus parvus (the small fruit) turns into... fructu parvo
It may not make a lot of sense, but that is what I have to do.  It may seem easy at first, but it's actually not.  I've been trying all semester to pass it.  It's like trying again and again to qualify for Boston.  But tomorrow is the day...it has to be!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I'll be honest, I still don't get it.

    I'm sorry, I was a music major. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's ok, I didn't understand it at first either. But now I've passed it! :-)

    ReplyDelete